Nevada sports bettors received some good news this week – the state will now allow prop bets on MLB World Series MVP. The Silver State’s sportsbooks will be required to notify the state gaming regulator, the Nevada Gaming Control Board’s (NGCB) Enforcement Division if they wish to add the betting market.
The Willie Mays World Series Best Player Award is awarded to the Major League Baseball (MLB) player who is considered to have had the greatest impact on the winning team’s performance in the World Series – the final and deciding event of each MLB postseason – much like the NFL Superbowl, the NHL Stanley Cup or the NBA Finals.
The reason for the special ruling is that Nevada has a number of unusual rules that sportsbooks must comply with when adding new betting markets and betting lines such as the prop bet for World Series MVP. It may seem strange and rather unnecessary to online sports bettors in states like New Jersey, Virginia and Tennessee, where all manner of betting markets are perfectly acceptable and up to the sportsbooks’ discretion, however, for Nevada, jumping through the hoops of adding a betting market is quite standard.
The rules that Nevada will introduce to allow World Series MVP betting
Subject to the provisions of Regulation 22.1201, Nevada’s licensed sportsbooks are now eligible to post odds and accept wagers for the winner of the World Series MVP award, provided that they met a set of conditions listed by the state regulator in the announcement as follows;
- All licensed sports betting operators in Nevada looking to offer MLB World Series MVP wagers are required to email the Enforcement Division within the NGCB with the ‘notification of terms’
- Ahead of the first pitch of the World Series, Nevada sportsbooks will be required to cease acceptance of wagers on the MVP award winner.
- All regulatory audit procedures detailed by the NGCB in Industry Letter 2011-48must be adhered to at all times.
- Odds offered to customers will be set by the sportsbooks at their discretion, and terms and conditions of the wagers and any other promotions surrounding the offer must be made transparently available.
- If any additional type of wagers emanates from the World Series MVP winner bets, then the sportsbook will need to apply to the NGCB separately for additional application and potential regulatory approval.
Betting on World Series MVP
As sports bettors in other legal online sports bettors know, postseason baseball games get a lot of attention and betting action across the nation and the World Series is no exception. Lucky sportsbook customers across the U.S. in legal states other than Nevada are regular aficionados of World Series props betting.
- Number of pitchers strikeouts in individual games or across the entire series.
- Player with the most hits in the series
- First HR in each game
- Best batting average for the World Series
- Home Run Leader for the Series
- Most Series RBIs
- Series Final Score; and much more besides
The MVP of the World Series wager is certain to see a lot of betting handle in Nevada as it’s one of the most coveted individual awards for players to receive for the sport.
It’s early days in the MLB season, however, in other sports betting states, odds are already set and betting is available. For example, with FanDuel in nearby Colorado, the current Top 5 in the betting odds to finish as World Series MVP are;
- Mike Trout – Los Angeles Angels
- Ronald Acuna Jr – Atlanta Braves
- Mookie Betts – Los Angeles Dodgers
- Juan Soto – Washington Nationals
- Shohei Ohtani – Los Angeles Angels