After compiling a stellar 10-0 start to their 2020/21 season campaign, the Pittsburgh Steelers, are now the top-ranked NFL team in Pennsylvania, and they have become the latest NFL team to join the sports betting revolution.
The Steelers, who have arguably the largest fan base in the NFL, announced last week they are entering a partnership with BetMGM. The agreement makes BetMGM the team’s first gaming partner. Once BetMGM’s online sports betting product launches in Pennsylvania later this year, BetMGM will become the official sports betting partner of Pittsburgh’s favorite sports team. The pathway has already been cleared as BetMGM has already had their application for both an online casino and online sportsbook approved in the Keystone State.
According to NBC, the agreement has activations focused on fans, such as presentation of sponsorships in concerts before the games, online marketing actions, promotions and branded signs scattered around the Steelers home stadium, Heinz Field. Both parties to the agreement will have promotions and digital signage in the stadium and on the BetMGM online sports betting app. Thereby, the two parties will be able to take advantage of the cross-promotion with the partnership.
The Steelers enthusiasm matched by BetMGM excitement for the Deal
Ryan Huzjak, Vice President of Sales and Marketing for the Steelers said;
“We are excited to introduce BetMGM to Steelers Nation. Not only will BetMGM be elevating some of our existing platforms, but they will be introducing new and exciting opportunities to Steelers fans. We are looking forward to kicking off this partnership.”
Matt Prevost, Chief Revenue Officer of BetMGM added his voice in support of the deal;
“Steelers Nation is one of the most passionate fan bases in professional sports and we’re thrilled to bring the excitement of BetMGM to Steelers fans. We’re eager to launch BetMGM’s gaming offering in Pennsylvania and I can’t think of a better way to kick off our entry into the state than through this monumental partnership” he said.
In addition to being the sponsor of the pre-game show for home games at Heinz Field, which was renamed ‘Steelers Kickoff Presented by BetMGM’, the deal covers the “Decade of Black and Gold” draw, when a fan wins tickets for the entire season and entries for sectors VIP for 10 years.
Prevost also empasizeded that “we are looking forward to launching the BetMGM game offering in Pennsylvania and I cannot think of a better way to mark our entry into the state than through this monumental partnership”.
Other details of the Steelers – Bet MGM Partnership
The aforementioned ‘Decade of Black & Gold’ will offer one grand prize winner at the end of the season will receive 2 club level season tickets and 2 VIP Hospitality Tent Passes for 10 years in duration. Additionally, weekly prizes will be awarded, with other entrants winning autographed Steelers merchandise. The contest will run throughout the entire NFL season.
Other co-branded marketing between BetMGM and the Steelers will include;
- Gameday media and weekly media including radio spots within Steelers programming such as The Point After, Players Show, Preview Show and In the Locker Room Show with Tunch & Wolf (ESPN Pittsburgh)
- TV commercial spot to run during the Mike Tomlin Weekly Press Conference on Tuesdays, Steelers Weekly on Saturdays, and Mike Tomlin Show on Saturdays officially has a booming legal sports wagering industry. The official figures for the state’s October betting handle was released recently by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board (PGCB) and its was a great one. Pennsylvania‘s online and retail sportsbooks combined to propel sports betting revenues to more than $525 for the first time in October.
The huge number represents a new monthly high, and Pennsylvania’s third consecutive record sports wagering month, and also marked the two-year anniversary of legal sports wagering in the state as bettors swarmed sportsbooks for football, both at the college football level and the NFL.
Breaking Down PA’s October Sports Wagering Numbers
In total for October, the Keystone State’s online and retail sportsbooks generated a record $525.8 million in wagers for the month, while the handle was up an incredible 118% from the $241.2 million for October 2019, and topping the previous record of $462.8 million recorded in September by exactly $63 million.
In terms of revenue generated by the state’s sportsbooks, Pennsylvania took in $47.8 million in revenue for their operators, an enormous increase on the year-on-year figure of $19 million taken in October 2019.
A total of $12.5 million came into the coffers of consolidated state tax revenue, and an additional $735 539 was divided into local shares.
In what is now becoming more than a fad or global pandemic trend, online sports betting in Pennsylvania continues to develop into the major form of sports betting activity and the most profitable.
Online sports wagering accounted for $472.25 million (or around 90%) of the Pennsylvanian total betting handle in October, continuing the trend of sports betting being dominated by online sportsbooks in Pennsylvania.
How did the individual sportsbooks fare in Pennsylvania?
Of the online sportsbooks and their land-based casino partners, FanDuel Online Sportsbook licensed through the land-based facility at the Valley Forge Casino was the Keystone State’s biggest winner, recording $181 million in sports bets (35% of all PA sports wagers) for the month, up around 7% for the month from the $168 million in wagers for September. Other great results were recorded by;
- DraftKings and their licensed partner, The Meadows recording $121 million in handle to make up approximately 23% Pennsylvania market share. From that amount, DraftKings went on to hit $6.5 million in revenue, their highest revenue report since Pennsylvania sports wagering begun.
- Barstool Sportsbook continued their climb up the rankings, recording $63.8 million in betting handle which translates to just over $11% of the total market.
- Bet Rivers / Rivers Pittsburgh – Total Handle – $36.1 million.
- SugarHouse / Rivers Philadelphia – Total Handle – $32.4 million.
- Parx – Total Handle – $29.8 million.
- Fox Bet / Mount Airy Casino – Total Handle – $29 million.
- Unibet / Mohegan Sun Pocono – Total Handle – $11.7 million.
- Bet America / Presque Isle Downs – Total Handle – $4.79 million.
- Caesars / Harrah’s Philadelphia – Total Handle – $3.85 million.
According to leading Pennsylvania gaming industry analyst Dustin Gouker, the Keystone State appears set to become one of the top sports wagering states in the nation;
“Pennsylvania could conceivably catch Nevada in a matter of months to become the nation’s No. 2 market, especially if the Steelers continue to roll and the Eagles can somehow make a playoff run to spike local interest.”
At 10-0 (at the time of writing), the Pittsburgh Steelers keep generating unprecedented interest in football betting in the Keystone State. With every victory, the Steelers push inexorably towards a perfect season and sports wagering is building as the possibility becomes more and more like reality than fantasy.