|Oregon is the only grandfathered state other than Nevada, Delaware and Montana to have previously offered any form sports betting in any form prior to the U.S. Supreme Court’s overturn of PASPA in May 2018. Oregon sports betting used to consist of the old Sports Action game that allowed parlay-style wagers on the NBA until that limited game was ceased in 2007. However, that is all that was required to give the Oregon State Lottery the legal authority to bring back sports betting in Oregon without the requirement for any specialist legislation.
Oregon Online Sports Betting
Taking a uniquely refreshing West Coast approach to solve issues surrounding the topic, Oregon’s Lottery was able to get legal online sports betting Oregon launched on October 16, 2019, and the app is available for download from the Oregon Lottery site for play on iOS and Android devices. The single mobile sportsbook called Scoreboard is fully managed by the Oregon Lottery, and it allows customers 21 years of age or older to bet on pro sports (no college games) anywhere within Oregon’s state lines. Betting is first available through the Scoreboard app and will be followed by the launch of betting kiosks placed throughout the state at a later date.
Oregon Sportsbook Legal Requirements
Oregon online sports betting was in a unique position in being able to launch sports betting without being required to go through a lengthy wait for legislative action thanks to Oregon being one of the few states (along with Nevada, Montana and Delaware) granted an exemption from the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA Act) due to pre-existing sports betting in the state.
Any form of sports betting already legal and being conducted during years from 1989 through 1991 was grandfathered in under the PASPA act. At that time, the Oregon Lottery was operating the abovementioned Sports Action game.
Long story short, the Oregon State Lottery was not required to wait for a new law to launch Oregon sports betting online. Existing State laws allowed for the State Government-owned lottery to launch a mobile betting app, and in the future, install sports betting kiosks across the Beaver State and authorize wagers at retail locations for in-person sports betting.
Oregon’s online betting customers must be 21 years of age or over, adhere to no college sports betting for the time being and bet only within Oregon’s state lines (protected by the Scoreboard app’s geolocation technology).
*Note: Regulations restrict wagers from being placed from within tribal boundaries in the state of Oregon. Geofencing technology is used to prevent anyone from placing wagers whilst physically located on tribal land.
Oregon’s Legal Sportsbooks
- Until further notice, the Oregon Lottery operates the state’s only online sportsbook, Scoreboard.
- However, in January 2021, Oregon State Governor Kate Brown has opened a new bill, HB 2127, to move Oregon away from its single state-sponsored sportsbook monopoly to an open marketplace. If passed, it would represent a major shift in Oregon Sports Betting, and perhaps more closely resemble what is available with NJ online sports betting sites.
How we Rank Oregon’s Sportsbooks
Just like any other state, USALegalBetting’s unbiased and independent online sportsbook research team have developed a comprehensive and stringent testing procedure by which to rank Oregon’s sole sportsbook.
Although it is just the solitary online sportsbook for now, the criteria for testing remains as high as ever. USALegalBetting’s independent online sportsbook research team have come up with a thorough testing procedure across multiple criteria based upon their own real-life sportsbook sign-up and banking personal accounts, and placing real money wagers across multiple sports betting markets;
Oregon’s online sportsbook does not yet offer the opportunity to claim real bonus money and/or bonus bets when you sign up, but when the competition arrives in the Beaver State, welcome bonuses will become commonplace. Prepare yourself for the phrases ‘Sign-Up Bonus’, ‘Welcome Bonus’ or ‘No Deposit Bonus’ when signing-up to your chosen Oregon online sportsbook in the future.
It is unknown at this stage if in Oregon whether free bets or free money you might receive in your future sportsbook welcome bonus may have a ‘wagering requirement’ (sometimes referred to as a ‘playthrough’ requirement – how many times you must play through the total of the bonus you receive before being able to withdraw your winnings from your account).
When it comes to Oregon, be sure to stay abreast of your wagering requirement level and what might be required of you in order to claim your bonus money in the future. Most likely, you should be able to opt out of the sign-up bonus if doesn’t suit you.
Now, and into the future, USALegalBetting will always evaluate each online sportsbook bonus for your convenience in every review we publish.
Sports Betting Market Selection
Oregon’s Scoreboard online sportsbook already offers a great range of sports betting markets:
- Football: NFL, CFL
- Basketball: NBA, VTB United League, Adriatic League, and pro leagues of Spain, Germany, Italy, Australia, Mexico, France, Greece, Israel, Philippines, South Korea, Poland and Turkey
- Hockey: NHL, World Championship, and pro leagues of Sweden, Russia, Canada, Czech Republic, Finland and Norway
- Baseball: MLB, Japanese League
- Soccer: MLS, NWSL, USL Championship, EPL, Champions League, Europa League, World Cup, AFC Champions League and pro leagues of more than 35 countries.
- Tennis: ATP, WTA, Davis Cup and Federation Cup.
- Golf: PGA
- Motor Racing: NASCAR, Indy Car, Formula 1
- MMA: UFC, Bellator, ONE Championship.
- Rugby Union: World Cup, Pro 14, Six Nations, European Champions, France Top 14, Gallagher Premiership
- Rugby League: NRL, English Super League, State of Origin, Internationals.
- Cricket: International Test, Twenty20, Sheffield Shield, Big Bash and IPL.
- Snooker & Pool
- Aussie Rules: AFL
- Handball: European Championship, Champions League, Champions League Women and Pro leagues of Spain and Germany
Oregon’s Scoreboard betting app appear to be fully aware security of your data, funds and personal details should never be compromised, by employing cutting-edge Secure Socket Layer (SSL) data encryption (as used by leading banks and internet shopping sites worldwide) to protect your money and personal details as securely as possible.
Mobile & Apps
Cell phones and mobile devices are now omnipresent in every sector of society and business across the United States, the State of Oregon included. To remain competitive, mostly all online sportsbook operators in the U.S. now offer mobile play for their clientele. If not, they will soon be swamped by those that do. USALegalBetting thoroughly checks all the nation’s (including Oregon’s sole sports betting site) online sportsbooks for full mobile functionality across the following criteria;
- Mobile browser, ‘no app required’ HTML5 technology.
- Compatibility of Android and iOS devices
- Full functionality of all sports betting market types in mobile and browser-based sportsbook versions.
- All capabilities (swipe and touch, Links etc) operate smoothly.
- Mobile device specific bonuses are awarded to all eligible players.
Methods of depositing and/or withdrawing money in/out of your Oregon online sportsbook account are still only limited at this early stage but what is offered, works nicely:
- Credit & Debit cards like Mastercard & Visa.
- Web-wallets like Paypal, Neteller, Skrill etc
- Play+ card
- Online/Electronic Bank Transfers
- ACH Transfers
Whether it is Oregon or elsewhere, it always pays to double check when joining any online sportsbook (or read our online sportsbook reviews for full banking method details) that your preferred deposit and withdrawal methods are accepted.
In Oregon, just like anywhere else, it always is advised to check that the customer service support hours and methods of contact of your chosen online sportsbooks suit your personal preferences.
Oregon’s sole online sportsbook offers a selection of great 24/7/365 contact options;
- Toll-free telephone contact number
- Live chat
- An extensive FAQs section
Click Here for our list on Online casinos licensed to operate in Oregon
Is online sports betting legal in Oregon?
Yes. Oregon’s Online Sportsbooks (the Scoreboard betting app) is legal to accept online wagers, and it is fully licensed and regulated by the Oregon Lottery.
What is the online sports betting legal age in Oregon?
Oregon offers fully legal online sports betting for players 21 years of age or over.
Now that online sports betting is legal in Oregon, can I also now bet legally at an offshore-based online sportsbook in the Beaver State?
No. Online sports bets in Oregon must be legally wagered with licensed and regulated Oregon Lottery online sportsbooks only.
Can I place wagers in Oregon’s online sportsbooks even if I’m not an Oregon resident?
Absolutely, however, you can only place bets while physically located in Oregon, however, you can withdraw and deposit funds to/from your online sportsbook account outside of the state.
Can I bet on any sports in Oregon?
Betting on all professional sports is accepted, however, betting on college games is not permitted at all in the State of Oregon, as state revenue raised from sports goes directly into Oregon’s University and State College sector.
- Sports Betting
- Oregon Online Sports Betting