The pathway to legal online sports betting was originally cleared back in October 2017 when Pennsylvanian state legislators passed bill ‘HB 271’, for legal sports betting, online casinos, poker sites and daily fantasy sports in the Keystone State. Firstly, PA’s land-based casinos offered in-house sports betting from November 2018, and eventually, the establishment of fully-fledged, licensed and regulated Pennsylvania online sports betting sites began in May 2019.
For an online sportsbook to offer legally operate PA sports betting online, they must conform to following criteria:
- PA online sports betting sites must pay the one time online sportsbook license fee of $10 million to the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board and adhere to the licensee’s revenue being taxed at a rate of 36%.
- Maintain a physical presence in Pennsylvania.
- Offer Pennsylvania sports betting only to online bettors at least 21 years of age, physically located within the Keystone State’s borders.
- The PA sports betting site must be partnered with a licensed land-based casino and/or racetrack in Pennsylvania.
- Each online sports betting site needs to prominently feature the name of the land-based casino licensee partner on the app or site.
- The Pennsylvania sports gambling site must keep their players money separate from the sportsbook’s operational money in separate accounts.
- The online sportsbook must permit the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board to test and monitor all online gambling games to ensure fair play for online players.
PA’s Legal Online Sports Betting Sites
Where to bet on sports online in PA?
For your Pennsylvanian sports betting convenience, please see below list of current PA online sports betting sites and/or those scheduled to soon begin operation;
- Fox Bet
- Caesars (to launch 2020)
- Kambi/Hollywood (to launch 2020)
How we Rank Pennsylvania’s Sportsbooks
At USALegalBetting, for your online sports betting convenience, we have committed ourselves to developing an easy-yet-comprehensive knowledge base of the sites offering online sports betting in Pennsylvania.
Our group of independent online sportsbook experts checked out all of the Keystone State’s licensed online sportsbooks, underwent the registration process, deposited real money and placed bets across a selection of different sports betting markets, and based our stringent online sports betting site reviews on experiences in the below criteria;
Many quality Online Sportsbooks in PA offer the chance to claim significant bonus money and/or bonus bets when you sign up to help maximize your earning opportunities upon first joining the online sportsbook. Watch out for the words ‘Sign-Up Bonus’, ‘Welcome Bonus’ or ‘No Deposit Bonus’ when checking out our online sportsbook reviews and/or signing-up to the sportsbook that is best for you.
Usually, there is a catch to the free money or free bets you will receive in your welcome bonus called a ‘wagering requirement’ (or sometimes referred to as a ‘playthrough’ requirement – Loosely, it is how many times you must play through the total of the bonus you receive before being able to withdraw your winnings). It is important to know about the level of wagering requirements and what is needed to claim your bonus money. You can always opt out of the bonus if doesn’t suit you.
USALegalBettingdo all the hard work for you and evaluates each online sportsbook bonus.
Sports Betting Market Selection
The Keystone State’s online sportsbooks offer a great selection of online sports betting in PA and sports betting opportunities, including markets on;
- Baseball (MLB)
- Basketball (NBA)
- College Sports
- Football (NFL, College & CFL)
- Formula 1
- Horse Racing
- Ice Hockey (NHL, World Cup, Olympics)
- Indy Car
- NCAA Lacrosse
- NCAA Men’s Basketball
- NCAA Men’s Football
- NCAA Softball
- NCAA Women’s Basketball
- Rugby Union
- Rugby League
- Australian Rules Football
Unlike neighboring New Jersey, in Pennsylvania;
- Bets can only be taken on sports, not on things like reality TV outcomes, elections or the Oscars.
- No betting on esports.
- Personnel involved in sporting leagues (officials, coaches etc) can’t bet on their own sports.
- Bettors in Pennsylvania CAN bet on all college sports. No exclusions are made unlike in New Jersey where bettors can’t wager on sports involving NJ colleges or any colleges taking place within NJ state lines.
When assessing Pennsylvania’s online sportsbooks, we believe it is of prime importance that security of your data, funds and personal details cannot be compromised.
Our recommended online sportsbooks all offer the latest in cutting-edge SSL data encryption (as instituted by Swiss banks and used by leading eCommerce sites and banks worldwide) for your protection and peace of mind.
What’s more, legislation and regulations governed by the state’s Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board are specifically designed with the aim to ensure that online sportsbook operators are all operating in a fair and legal manner.
Mobile & Apps
As mobile device use increases across the United States, Pennsylvania’s online sportsbooks have determined that mobile sportsbooks become a must. Our recommended PA sportsbooks are all thoroughly checked for full mobile compatibility, and all assessed for the following:
- Dedicated mobile apps.
- Mobile browser, ‘no app required’ HTML5 technology.
- iOS and Android device mobile compatibility.
- Full betting markets/parlay builders functionality etc runs fluently.
- Swipe and touch capabilities are all fully operational.
- Mobile online sportsbooks offer all the desktop sportsbook features.
- Mobile specific bonuses are all catalogued.
All banking transactions with licensed and legal Pennsylvania online sportsbooks are totally legal and above board. Pennsylvania online sportsbooks all operate within existing federal laws, and major U.S. banks have no legitimate reason to decline transactions with online casinos.
Consequently, signing up to PA online sportsbooks and depositing money is available using a wide range of deposit and withdrawal methods;
- Debit/Credit cards like Mastercard & Visa.
- Web wallets like Paypal, Neteller, Skrill etc
- Electronic/Online Bank Transfers
- ACH Transfers
- Deposits and withdrawals for online sportsbooks are also possible in land-based casino partners, and;
- Online Sportsbook/Casino VIP cards.
Online players should always check with their individual online sportsbook (or simply read our online sportsbook reviews for details) that their preferred deposit and withdrawal methods are accepted.
When choosing an online sportsbook, its important to know if you can contact customer support when required, and at a time convenient to you.
Quality customer-focused online sportsbooks usually offer a selection of 24/7/365 contact options;
- Free call options
- Live chat
- Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc)
- A thorough FAQs section
- An ‘old school’ postal address.
In order to pass our stringent testing procedures, USALegalBetting’s recommended online sportsbooks must prove that they offer the best in thorough, knowledgeable and friendly customer-focused service.