In-person and online sports betting in West Virginia is now legal for anyone aged 21 or older and located within state lines. In February 2018, the West Virginia Senate passed S 415 and the State House passed it quickly thereafter, becoming the very first state legislature to pass sports betting legalization legislation in March 2018. The bill was pending the U.S. Supreme Court finding on behalf of New Jersey in their battle to free up sports betting from the Major Leagues, and that is precisely what happened, and West Virginia sports betting was given the green light to go live.
West Virginia Online Sports Betting
An additional law adopted in 2019 authorized each of the West Virginia’s casinos to offer online sports betting to fully round out the Mountain State’s sports betting industry. The passage of that law made West Virginia one of the first few states to fully regulate both legal online sports betting and online casino betting in the U.S.
West Virginia’s Sportsbook Legal Requirements
West Virginia legal sports betting allows for each of West Virginia’s 5 land-based casinos to also offer online sports betting under the following regulations administered by the West Virginia Lottery Commission;
- Each of West Virginia’s 5 land-based casinos can offer 3 individually-branded and licensed online sportsbooks.
- A maximum of 15 sportsbooks will be licensed for use in the state.
- Bettors must be physically located within the state lines of West Virginia in order to place legal sports wagers.
- Online sports betting is restricted to West Virginian residents or visitors over the age of 21.
- The West Virginia sports betting sites must keep their players money separate from the sportsbook’s operational money in separate accounts.
- Existing racetracks and casinos with gaming licenses to apply for a sports betting license at a cost of $100,000, renewable every five years along with a $100,000 renewal fee. Licensed operators are subject to a 10% sports betting tax.
- Land-based casinos may partner with large nationally branded online sports books in order to offer professional expertise and site infrastructure.
- Casinos with interim approval are allowed to start online operations for a period of 270 days from the date of the Lottery director’s approval.
Legal Online Bookmakers
West Virginia sports betting online has already had a few up-and-downs (including a 6-month shutdown in 2019) however, currently offers these quality online sports betting options in the style of NJ online sports betting sites;
- BetMGM Sportsbook
- Betly Sportsbook
- Barstool Sportsbook
How we Rank West Virginia’s Sportsbooks
USALegalBetting’s unbiased and independent online sportsbook research team have developed a comprehensive and stringent testing procedure by which to rank all U.S. online sportsbooks, including those offered in West Virginia.
USALegalBetting’s panel of independent online sportsbook experts have come up with a thorough testing procedure across multiple criteria based upon their own real-life sportsbook registration and banking experiences, and placing real live bets across a number of different sports betting markets;
Online Sportsbooks in West Virginia all offer the opportunity to claim real bonus money and/or bonus bets when you sign up to help maximize your earning opportunities upon first joining the online sportsbook. Prepare yourself for the phrases ‘Sign-Up Bonus’, ‘Welcome Bonus’ or ‘No Deposit Bonus’ when checking our online sportsbook reviews and/or signing-up to your chosen online sportsbook.
Often, there is a catch to the free bets or free money you may receive in your sign up bonus called a ‘wagering requirement’ (sometimes referred to as a ‘playthrough’ requirement – how many times you must play through the total of the bonus you receive before being able to withdraw your winnings from your account). It is critical to be aware of the level of your wagering requirements and what is needed of you in order to claim your bonus money. You may always opt out of the bonus if doesn’t suit you.
USALegalBetting evaluate each online sportsbook bonus for your convenience in every review we undertake for you.
Sports Betting Market Selection
West Virginians can bet on a superb selection of sports betting markets including major league sports and little-known sports betting options with opportunities for big wins;
- Baseball (MLB)
- Basketball (NBA)
- Professional Bowling
- College Sports
- Football (NFL, College & CFL)
- Formula 1
- PGA Golf
- Horse Racing
- Ice Hockey (NHL, World Cup, Olympics)
- Indy Car
- NCAA Lacrosse
- NCAA Men’s Basketball
- NCAA Men’s Football
- NCAA Softball
- NCAA Women’s Basketball
- Rugby Union
- Rugby League
- Australian Rules Football
West Virginia’s online sportsbooks operators understand only too well that security of your data, funds and personal details should never be compromised.
That is why West Virginia’s online sportsbooks all offer cutting-edge Secure Socket Layer (SSL) data encryption (as used by leading banks and internet shopping sites worldwide) to protect your money and details as securely as possible.
The West Virginia Lottery Commission plays it part by regularly monitoring and testing online sportsbook activity to ensure fair play and that betting markets are impartial, open and transparent.
Mobile & Apps
Cell phones and other mobile devices are now common ways of doing business across the entire United States, and West Virginia is no exception. All online sportsbook operators in West Virginia must offer mobile wagering for their customers to remain competitive. For your online sports betting convenience, USALegalBetting thoroughly checks the entire West Virginia online sportsbook catalogue for full mobile compatibility across the following criteria;
- iOS and Android device mobile compatibility.
- Mobile browser access ‘no app required’ HTML5 technology.
- Common functionality of sportsbooks in mobile and browser-based sportsbook versions.
- Swipe and Touch functions operate comfortably.
- Mobile specific bonuses are fully credited to all eligible players.
Depositing and/or withdrawing money in/out of your West Virginia online sportsbook account is possible by a selection of easily-operating methods:
- Credit & Debit cards like Mastercard & Visa.
- Web-wallets like Paypal, Neteller, Skrill etc
- Online/Electronic Bank Transfers
- ACH Transfers
- Land-based casino partner cashier desks and;
- Online Sportsbook/Casino VIP cards.
Always double check when joining any online sportsbook (or read our online sportsbook reviews for full banking method details) that your preferred deposit and withdrawal methods are readily accepted.
Always check that the customer support hours and methods of contact of your favorite West Virginia online sportsbooks suit your personal preferences.
Whilst contact options will always vary between online sportsbooks, expect a selection of 24/7/365 contact options to usually be available such as;
- Toll-free and paid telephone contact options
- Live chat
- A thorough FAQs section
- Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc)
- An ‘old school’ mailing address
USALegalBetting’s recommended West Virginia online sportsbooks are commonly known for their offer of focused and knowledgeable customer-focused service with convenient opening hours.
Click Here for our list on Online casinos licensed to operate in West Virginia
Are West Virginia’s online sportsbooks legal for play?
Yes. West Virginia’s Online Sportsbooks are all legal for online play, licensed and regulated by the West Virginia Lottery Commission.
What is the legal online sports betting age in West Virginia?
West Virginia welcomes legal online sports betting for players 21 years of age or over.
What sports can I bet on in West Virginia?
Bet on major league sports leagues in West Virginia like MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA, MLS, college games, MMA/UFC, NASCAR/Formula 1/Indy Car, European Soccer and many more obscure sports like Rugby, Cricket, Darts, Snooker, European Handball, and Australian Rules Football (AFL).
Can I bet Legally at an offshore online sportsbook if I live in West Virginia?
No. Online sports betting in West Virginia must take place with a sportsbook licensed and regulated by the West Virginia Lottery Commission only.
Can I place wagers in West Virginia’s online sportsbooks even if I don’t live there?
Yes. Note - you can only place wagers whilst physically located within West Virginia state lines, but you may withdraw and deposit funds to/from your online sportsbook account outside of West Virginia.
- Sports Betting
- West Virginia Online Sports Betting