Sports betting in Rhode Island is available at both the Ocean State’s two land-based casinos in addition to legal online sportsbooks. In order for legalized sports betting sites in Rhode Island to accept online sports wagers, they must conform to these following principles;
- Rhode Island’s two land-based casinos are the only two approved online sportsbook licensees to date, a virtual monopoly.
- Rhode Islanders wanting to bet online first have to visit one of the two casinos in-person to complete their sign-up procedure for an account before being able to be involved in Rhode Island sports betting online – This law has been updated and Rhode Islanders can now register for their online sports betting account anywhere in the state.
- The Rhode Island gambling age for sports betting is 21 years of age or older.
- You must be physically located within Rhode Island’s state borders to place a sports wager.
- Rhode Island sportsbooks must pay a 51% tax on gross revenue.
- Rhode Island sportsbooks servers must be located within state lines.
- Rhode Island’s online sportsbooks must keep their players money and the sportsbook’s operational money in separate accounts.
- • Online sportsbooks are subject to regular fair play testing by the Rhode Island Lottery for online players.
Licensed online Bookmakers in Rhode Island
In-person sign-up at one of Ocean State’s two bricks-and-mortar casinos is now no longer required and the state’s residents can now register from anywhere in the state for the state’s sole online sportsbook;
- Sportsbook Rhode Island (operated by William Hill)
At this point, an open market place with many of the best sports betting sites for New Jersey entering the Rhode Island Sports Wagering market is yet to become a reality.
How we Rank Rhode Island Sportsbooks
USALegalBetting have developed a comprehensive and stringent testing procedure for all online sportsbooks across the United States and applied that to the Rhode Island sportsbook.
That test has been developed by USALegalBetting’s panel of independent online sportsbook experts and it is based upon real-life sign-up procedure experiences, depositing real money and placing bets across a number of different sports betting markets, and unearthed a range of ranking criteria based upon those research outcomes;
Rhode Island’s Online Sportsbook does not yet offer the chance for players to be rewarded with significant bonus bets or real money upon registration. However, its good to know what may be coming for the Ocean State as the marketplace begins to free up a little.
In many other legal online sports betting states, players need to being on the lookout for the words ‘No Deposit Bonus’, ‘Sign-Up Bonus’, or ‘Welcome Bonus’ when signing-up to a new sportsbook.
The is almost always a catch to the free money, free spins or free bets you could be offered in your online sportsbook sign-up bonus called a ‘wagering requirement’ (On occasions it could be referred to as a ‘playthrough’ requirement – and is most frequently used to describe how many times you must play through the total of your welcome bonus before you can withdraw your winnings). Knowing the level of the wagering requirement is crucial information to be aware of before accepting any bonus money. Importantly, knowing that you can almost always opt out of the welcome bonus if doesn’t suit your personal sports betting style or requirements is critical.
As a service for you, BettingTop10 evaluates each and every online sportsbook bonus across the United States.
Rhode Islanders can bet on a great range of sports betting markets including major league sports and little-found betting options;
- Baseball (MLB)
- Basketball (NBA)
- College Sports
- Football (NFL, College & CFL)
- PGA Golf
- Ice Hockey (NHL, World Cup, Olympics)
- Indy Car
- NCAA Men’s Basketball
- NCAA Men’s Football
- NCAA Softball
- NCAA Women’s Basketball
- Soccer (European Leagues, MLS and English Premier League)
Rhode Island Sports Betting Exclusions
Just like the regulations in New Jersey, while you can bet on your favorite college team outside of the Ocean State, the state of Rhode Island does not allow you to place any bet on any Rhode Island-based team.
This means you cannot place bets on college games that involve some of the top RI college teams like Brown, Johnson, Whales, RIC, Bryant or Providence College.
USALegalBetting’s panel of online sportsbooks assessors understand well that security of your data, funds and personal details can in no way ever be compromised.
USALegalBetting only recommends online sportsbooks offering cutting-edge Secure Socket Layer (SSL) data encryption (as used by leading banks and internet shopping sites worldwide) to safeguard your money and details as securely as possible.
Mobile & Apps
Mobile Devices and cell phones are now in every corner of society and business across the United States, and Rhode Island is no different. All online sportsbook operators in the U.S. must now offer mobile play for their customers to remain competitive. USALegalBetting thoroughly checks the nation’s (and Rhode Island’s sole sports betting site) online sportsbooks for full mobile compatibility across the following criteria;
- Availability of mobile browser, ‘no app required’ HTML5 technology.
- Android and iOS device mobile compatibility.
- Identical functionality of sportsbooks in mobile and browser-based sportsbook versions.
- Touch and swipe capabilities operate smoothly.
- Available mobile specific bonuses are awarded to all eligible players.
For the time being, depositing and withdrawing money in/out of your Rhode Island online sportsbook account is only available by the following methods:
- Credit & Debit cards like Mastercard & Visa.
- ACH Transfers
- Land-based casino partner’s cash cage and;
- Cash and Prepaid cards.
Be sure to double check when registering at any online sportsbook (or read our online sportsbook reviews for full banking method details) that your preferred deposit and withdrawal methods are accepted.
Be sure to check that the customer support hours and contact methods of your chosen Rhode Island online sportsbook suit your personal preferences.
Currently, Rhode Island’s sole online sportsbook offers customer service by:
- Toll-free phone and;
- In-house customer support at the state’s two land-based casinos.
As more online sportsbooks inevitably open in Rhode Island, expect a range of 24/7/365 contact options to be available such as;
- Toll-free call options
- Live chat
- Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc)
- A thorough FAQs section
- A postal address
USALegalBetting’s recommended online sportsbooks usually offer the best in knowledgeable, customer-focused service with convenient opening hours.
Click Here for our list on Online casinos licensed to operate in Rhode Island